My job usually consists of Greek Life, SGA, Programming Board, Intramurals, and Student Organizations. However, this past semester, the "Other Duties As Assigned" part of that job description kicked in and I ended up in charge of the Orientation Leaders (or OLs). I just spent the last three days with them doing training for August and our Take Flight Week. It was incredibly rejuvenating, and these students reminded me of the reason I wanted to work in Student Affairs.
I was an orientation leader at Louisiana Tech in 2003. It was a life changing experience for me. The 18 of us on staff formed a bond like no other that year. They really helped me to be more open minded. It was the first time in my life that I ever did anything the slightest bit risky or dangerous, and it was great! We went to an orientation training conference that spring called SROW (Southern Regional Orientation Workshop). One of the sessions that I went to that week was titled "So, You Can do This For a Living?" I dragged my orientation partner to that workshop, and we learned all about Masters programs in Student Affairs and how we could get into that field. My partner hated every minute of that session, but I had just figured out what I wanted to do with my life.
 |
| La Tech OSLs 2003 |
I went back to school after that workshop and changed my major from journalism to speech communication. What was I thinking as a journalism major anyway? I can barely write this blog. :) Then I started researching Masters programs and found one at Southern Miss that looked promising. This was the beginning of my journey in Student Affairs.
 |
| USM Southern Style 2006 |
When I was in grad school, I always wanted to get a job working with orientation leaders. My orientation experience was what made me want to go into the profession, so I felt like it was fitting. I had the opportunity to work with the Southern Style staff while I was at Southern Miss, and I even got to go back and present at SROW that year. It was great. When I left grad school, my first job didn't have anything to do with orientation. I was in charge of SGA, Sororities, and the cheerleaders and dance team. They definitely didn't teach me anything about cheer and dance in grad school. :) That job was a wonderful learning experience, and it introduced me to Greek Life and definitely prepared me for the job I have now.
This past week has been the first time since grad school that I have had the opportunity to work with orientation leaders. The group of students I have this year is amazing, and I had the best time helping them prepare for the new students who will be here in August. I hope that their experience as OLs is just as special as mine was. I am so happy that I had a reminder this week of why I first decided to do what I do. It's so nice to feel refreshed and rejuvenated in your job and to remember why you love what you do. Now I just need to hang on to that refreshed feeling when I'm living and breathing sorority and fraternity recruitment in September. :)
 |
| Univ. of Montevallo OLs 2011 |
No comments:
Post a Comment